Lemon bars and an open apology


I admit it was kinda fun teasing my Twitter friends about the lemon bars I baked this morning, but now I'm in a world of tangy-sweet butter bliss and feeling pretty guilty about it. Guess I owe you all a great big apology and my recipe for lemon bars.

I'm sorry. I'm truly, deeply sorry you aren't here to taste the powdered sugar on the tip of your tongue and sink your teeth into the fragile crust. I regret spilling details about the ingredients, like fresh lemons and real butter. I am a bad person for being so thoughtless.

Now here's the recipe:

Pure Sunshine (a.k.a. Lemon Bars)

2/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
6 eggs
2 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 T fresh lemon zest
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 t baking powder
Powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar 2 min. or until fluffy. Beat in 2 cups flour until mixture is crumbly. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 10x15 baking pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes in a 350 degree oven until golden.

Meanwhile, for filling, combine eggs, 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar, 1/3 cup flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and baking powder. Beat 2 min. or until combined.

Pour filling over baked crust. Bake 20 minutes more or until filling is set and just starting to color around the edges. Cool on a wire rack. Dust tops with powdered sugar and cut into bars.

Popular Posts